The name of a plant-based dish can have a big impact on how appealing it is to customers. A recent study by the World Resources Institute found that dishes with more appealing names sold up to 76% better than those with less appealing names.
So, how do you choose a name for your plant-based menu items that will boost sales? Here are a few tips:
1. Focus on flavor. The most important thing is to choose a name that makes your dish sound delicious. Use words that are evocative and descriptive, such as "succulent," "savory," and "flavorful."
2. Avoid negative labels. Words like "vegan" and "vegetarian" can be alienating to some customers, so it's best to avoid using them in the names of your dishes. Instead, focus on highlighting the positive aspects of your dishes, such as their freshness, health benefits, and sustainability.
3. Make it familiar. People are more likely to try something new if it sounds familiar. So, when naming your plant-based dishes, consider using the names of familiar dishes, but with a plant-based twist. For example, instead of "vegan burger," try "mushroom burger" or "lentil burger."
4. Be creative. Don't be afraid to get creative with the names of your plant-based dishes. Come up with names that are unique and memorable, and that will make your dishes stand out from the crowd.
Here are a few examples of plant-based dish names that follow these tips:
- Succulent Mushroom Burger
- Savory Lentil Soup
- Flavorful Veggie Chili
- Hearty Bean Tacos
- Creamy Coconut Curry
- Decadent Chocolate Mousse
You can also use the names of specific ingredients or cuisines to make your plant-based dishes sound more appealing. For example:
- Thai Veggie Stir-Fry
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Mexican Quinoa Bowl
- Indian Lentil Dal
- Chinese Vegetable Dumplings
In addition to choosing the right name, there are a few other things you can do to promote your plant-based menu items:
- Place them prominently on your menu. Don't hide your plant-based dishes at the bottom of the menu or in a separate section. Instead, place them prominently alongside your other dishes.
- Highlight their benefits. Let customers know why they should choose your plant-based dishes. Are they healthier? More sustainable? More affordable? Be sure to highlight these benefits in your menu descriptions and marketing materials.
- Offer samples and tastings. This is a great way to introduce customers to your plant-based dishes and let them see how delicious they can be.
- Train your staff. Make sure your staff is knowledgeable about your plant-based dishes and can answer any questions that customers may have.
By following these tips, you can boost the sales of your plant-based menu items and attract more customers to your restaurant.
Additional tips for naming plant-based menu items:
- Use humor. A well-placed joke can make a plant-based dish name more memorable and appealing. For example, "The 'I Can't Believe It's Not Meat' Burger" or "The 'I'm So Full I Forgot I'm a Meat-Eater' Pasta."
- Use pop culture references. Customers are more likely to be drawn to plant-based dish names that are familiar to them. For example, "The Mandalorian Burger" or "The Harry Potter Pumpkin Pasties."
- Use local references. If you use locally sourced ingredients, consider using those names in your dish names. This is a great way to show customers that you support your community and that your dishes are fresh and seasonal.
The name of a plant-based dish can play a big role in how appealing it is to customers. By following the tips above, you can choose names for your plant-based dishes that will boost sales and attract more customers to your restaurant.